s notes: The First Attempt

Monday, June 12, 2006

The First Attempt

I have been reading blogs the last few days. I understand the mantra today is to blog. Everybody blogs.. My husband blogs, his friends blog, his friend’s friend blog. I got so inspired by this blog thing and thought let me give it a try. I then did a quick search on wikipedia to find what a blog is.

The results of my search
"A weblog, which is usually shortened to blog, is a website usually consisting of articles, though they can focus on photographs, videos or audio, in a reverse chronological order. Like other media, blogs often focus on a particular subject, such as food, politics, or local news; however, some function as online diaries instead. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, web pages, and other media related to its topic.
The first blogs were known as "online diaries", and started in 1994. The term "weblog" itself was coined by Jorn Barger on 17 December 1997."


I then decided to blog. I was waiting for the right day or moment rather to begin as I wanted something good to start with. I love cooking and the food blogs I had been reading I should say have been my source of inspiration .Food bloggers I am going to join your club.

I finally found the right moment to begin. I caught up with a school-mate of mine after 8 years. We were real good buddies at school, after school we changed streams and moved to different colleges and our jobs took us apart. I landed in the states end of last year. I caught up with an old friend of mine here. We were talking of old times and she mentioned this school mate of ours living here and I gave her a big time surprise one day.

She is in DC this week for a conference and decided to visit us. I would say, it was really great to meet an old time friend. She surprised me with her figure. She looks really smart now and I wonder how she managed to shed all her weight. I got to learn how to stay slim and look smart from her. She was in to this dietician thing long back and talks calories and only calories… My hubby kicked off with her too and believe it or not the three of us talked and talked about food, food and only food for almost an hour and a half and we would have go on and on as I interrupted and said “Lets have food” I didn’t realize until now that there was so much to talk about food.

Anyway, as she was visiting us the first time, I prepared carrot kheer the recipe I decided to post. I also prepared bisi bela bath, Aloo fry, Capsicum Rice, Chappatis and dal.

Here is the Carrot Recipe.. I forgot to take a picture. I believe that’s the norm in all the food blogs, I shall the next time

You will need

Carrots- 2
Milk – 1 litre
Sugar – ½ cup
Cardomom powder – ¼ tsp
Raisins, Almonds and Pistachois – as required
Ghee – 1tsp

Method

Peel and Grate the carrots. Put the grated carrots in boiling water cover them with a lid and keep aside for 5 mins. Drain and pour cold water over them. Boil milk in a large pan. Reduce the flame and simmer it stirring continuously for 15 mins. Add sugar and boil.
Now squeeze the water out of the carrots and add the carrots to the milk. Simmer for about 3-4 minutes. Heat a tsp of ghee. Add rasins, pistachios and almonds and roast them in ghee. And add the garnish to the carrot kheer. Serve in a bowl. This can be served hot or cold as desired.

This is a very easy to prepare and does not take much time. Hope you enjoy it.... More to come....

1 Comments:

Blogger zrini (srini, ஸ்ரீநி, வாசு, சீனு, சீனி etc.) said...

welcome to blogging... I like your writing style.. hope to read more recipes!

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home