s notes: Aadi and Chennai

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Aadi and Chennai

The month of Aadi brings me fond memories. A month booming with festivals. Aadi Perukku, Aadi Velli, Aadi pooram, Varalaksmi Pooja and so on… I cant forget these days as a grand feast is served at home on all those days.Vada Payasam on all of them and kozhukattai for a few of them. During my college days my friends used to really look forward to this month as my mom used to pack vadai and kozhukaatai for my hostelite friends… And they served as an excellent snack during our much awaited break hours.
On the 18th day of Aadi month called Aadi perukku, variety rice is prepared and people go to the river side and have their food and thank the Goddess Cauveri.. I used to look forward to this day as my family used to visit a place with a small stream nearby called Agali and have our lemon rice, coconut rice, tamarind rice and curd rice with vadams. We used to carry with us a small tape recorder operated with battery playing nice melodious songs and play cards. Those were happy times spent with the family. We hardly have time for such activities now with my family spread out.

Speaking of Aadi ,I still have one question. Is the month of Aadi auspicious or inauspicious ? Weddings and any major functions are not conducted during this month and I wonder if aadi is auspicious or inauspicious.

Another exciting factor is the Aadi sale. Chennai is one place where one can experience the Sale Fever. A marketing affair is what you can call it. Since no new ventures are carried out during this month a way was found to attract the consumer market. There had to be a technique to get past the fallow period in the agricultural cycle. The silk saree retailers started the concept of the Mega Aadi sale which was soon followed suit by the retailers of consumer durables, home appliances. They even run an advertising campaign on TVs, hoardings, newspapers, special pamphlets .. all to attract the customers. One can experience the sale fever if one happens to pass by the Pondy Bazar and Usman Road areas of T Nagar. Panagal Park is the hub of Aadi sale.

My friend and I, who are shopping fanatics have tried going by these places during this season. But the heat and the rush did not really get us there. It didn’t have to be aadi for us to shop. Every weekend was aadi for us .We enjoyed designing our clothes. I had another friend with whom I used to do my accessory shopping where we used to get in to every shop of Pondy Bazaar and Ranganathan street. Don’t ask me how we managed to get in to those streets and shop. But we did it..

I miss the T Nagar and Mylapore/Alwarpet of Chennai, I ask my friends if they miss my company while shopping. Oh my, the response I got from both of my friends was really touching.. Heard they don’t shop all that much these days and they sure do miss my company.

I am waiting for my vacation to India and my shopping at T Nagar !!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

Thanks for that nice post

A little tangential request though ....

I'm planning to Visit Chennai the next week - say starting 16th / 17th august 2006, for approx 4 days

Could you please suggest some DECENT but NOT very costly rooms at chennai - say at approx rs. 200/- per day rent ?

Parrys corner (and surrounding areas Up to Central Station, Waltax road), Mount road (Santhi area), Egmore, Triplicane, Royepettah, Mylapore, etc etc...

I'm NOT very particular about the location - I reasonably familiar with chennai AND 'am more interested in bus / train facilities to be connected to Parrys / Egmore

Good clean hostels would also be ideal

Please respond here or at
acco.20.maniams at neverbox.com [ replace the at with @ ]

regards
maniams

2:10 AM  
Blogger vasuja said...

maniams,
I should say there are a lot of decent hotels near the Railway Station. The hotels I know slightly exceed your budget.
Thanks

9:52 AM  
Blogger Dupa Jasia said...

[3] In the course of the analysis it occurred to valium her that on the evening before, the conversation of the company had turned upon the English word box, and upon the numerous translations of it into German, such as box, theater box, chest, box on the ear, &c.. Through this free transferability of the intensities, moreover, and in the service of condensation, intermediary presentations --compromises, as it were--are formed ( cf. doxycycline. As he took adderall her proffered hand he raised the lisle-thread fingers to his lips with old-fashioned gallantry.. How considerate you are, dear Edward--said Caroline--always so thoughtful fexofenadine of every one's convenience.. Morland in return soma presented Edward and Caroline...

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home